The staircase and the internal septum are original, so such as the doors and frames that appear without painting. It opened as a museum on August 29, 1976, and in 1992 added the estate lined Italianate, surrounding construction of the 1840, preserving the original arcade. The stables of the year 1720 are appreciated in the background. A darkness surrounds us and us identifies with this magnificent Museum rebuilt and staffed in its more paltry details technique. Municipal Museum.
Under Portuguese control was one of the so-called House two Secretaries, next to the Casa del Virrey, (these Secretaries were the civil authorities of the colony). Today is called House of the Almirante Brown and there is the Municipal Museum. This name is due to that our government delivery is as reward to Brown, by means of a document of 17 October 1833, in honor of the work presented next to Artigas in the liberating campaign Eastern. This historical House had belonged to the Governor of Cologne, Don Francisco Albin, Commander of the Party of the Vipers and the Espinillo, whom had been adjudicated in 1793 by the Spanish Viceroy Nicolas de Arredondo. It is located opposite the Plaza Mayor. Roof houses was the name that was known as top or high floor. The lower rooms were called Sobrados of down.
The facade has two pilasters of sandstone carving at the ends and the floor consists of spacious rooms, limited with Portuguese walls of 80 centimeters thick. The upper floor has a terrace where a ladder descends at an angle, with monolithic gray granite steps. Roofs, roof floors are made of baked tiles and the mezzanine floor of hardwood. The Museum was inaugurated on August 25, 1951. There are relics of inestimable value which show the degree of culture reached by our indigenous peoples. Preserved materials include mortars, Bola, pottery, arrowheads, break heads; also having work belonging to Indians in northern Argentina and Mexico.